Friday, September 4, 2009

The Floating Brothel


The Floating Brothel by Sian Rees is a very informative book as well as a great read. It really explains the hard times that the convict women went through during the eighteenth century. I enjoyed reading this book. THe author does a nice job of writing how authors would write during the time the book takes place in but also having a word guide at the bottom to help the reader out understand the book more.
The Floating Brothel explains in detail what is was like to be a convict in England during 1780. This book captured you and made you feel like you were actually there along with all the other women on the boat. It really goes into detail about everything it took to transport the women convict to the new colony England was making for the over flow of their unwanted people.
The only down side is the begging of this book when it goes into to much detail about England and the history of the boats and crime rate during the eighteenth century, when all you want to do is get into the story of these women. I recommend this book, it is a great read after you get past the first part.

-Amelia Earhart

4 comments:

  1. Ooh...I had a different reaction to this book! I was fascinated with the stuff about Britain, and then got bored when they got underway. It's so cool to hear that you had the opposite impression. Neat.

    I was absolutely stunned that women would get sent to lands beyond the seas for stealing yards of fabric, and that female counterfeiters would get burned at the stake while male counterfeiters would only get hanged. And, I was desperate for more information about the debate that raged in England about the use of stake-burning for women.

    Once they get underway and start having babies in Brazil, I lost interest.

    Wow!

    Great work!

    Mrs. McCabe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book seems pretty interesting. I probably would not read it though. Being on a boat makes me very sea sick, I can't imagine what these women had to go through.
    -Pocahontas

    ReplyDelete
  3. My book also took place in the 18th century and involved men,women and children convicts shipped to New South Wales to start a new colony. Many of the women began relationships with the male convicts and sometimes with the sailors on board the ships. The death rate was very high on the ships from scurvy and poor conditions however, and many of the women died.
    -Emily Dickinson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Pocahontas. This book sounds very interesting and like a good read but I'm not very good with slow beginings so I'm not sure if I would read this book myself although the actual stories of the women sound like they would be very cool to learn about. So, maybe I will read it!
    -Joan of Arc

    ReplyDelete