Monday, September 7, 2009

The Republic of Pirates

"The Republic of Pirates", written by Colin Woodard, was a rather interesting read. It contained a lot of information about pirates that are often over looked or unknown by most people. One example of such information includes the fact that most pirate captains were not racist, and allowed natives of islands and slaves to join their ranks. The novel also revealed the horrid loss of life out at sea due to disease, fighting--there was much less fighting than one would think--and the powerful forces of nature.
Apart from being interesting, the book was rather confusing. Colin Woodard introduces many different pirates rather early in the book, causing your mind to loose track of who is who, who did what, and who was where. This gets extremely confusing when ships begin getting destroyed or traded, for who owns said ships escapes your memory. In the end, I recommend "The Republic of Pirates" for next year's class and to anybody that would be interested in the truth behind the pirates.

-Alexander the Great

4 comments:

  1. My book was also about pirates. I understand what you mean by it being confusing but also interesting. The subject of pirates is fascinating in itself although sometimes the stories are hard to wrap your head around.

    ~Queen Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds very interesting. I love pirates. I wont be reading it in my free time but if i need a book for a class i will consider it.
    -Mary Magdaline

    ReplyDelete
  3. The horrible conditions at sea for the pirates were similar to those that the convicts in my book about Australia had to endure. I would definitely enjoy reading this book.
    -Emily Dickinson

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book caught my attention and I would definitely enjoy reading it.
    -Aung San Suu Kyi

    ReplyDelete