Monday, September 7, 2009

The Opium Wars



This novel is actually quite interesting because of the British/Chinese relations beginning with drugs. Its not a "light reading" kind of book many times the author repeats himself or will go off into less than interesting details. I feel as though the novel could have been cut down about a 100 pages. Never the less this book shows the manipulation of power through trade and the British causing bizarre wars because of the Chinese trying to end the opium trade.

This book includes rebellion, war, and of course opium. The story was very tragic but powerful at the same time showing the struggles of of any of the people involved. I recommend this book to anyone who can appreciate lots of detail and a clash between two very seperate worlds.

-Lady GaGa

5 comments:

  1. This book sounds interesting, although I get very bored easily when authors repeat themselves. I am not sure if I would ever read this book, but it sounds very interesting!

    -Amelia Earhart

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Opium wars seem like they would be interesting. I don't know if I would read this particular one but maybe a different novel on the wars. Looks like a great book.
    -Moses-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been interested in imperialism and foreign affairs; I should definitely read this!

    -Confucius

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how such a small vanity can create such civil, poliitcal, and economical reliance for a country.

    ---Voltaire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree -- this subject of this book might have been presented better by a different author. One part of this book that I was amazed by was the way in which the British ransacked the Chinese cities, and their officers criticized them for not looting more efficiently. !!!

    That being said, the book did not exactly hold my interest entirely.

    Mrs. McCabe

    ReplyDelete