Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang


The Rape of Nanking was quite depressing, but still rather enlightening. All throughout school, students in America learn about the horrors of the Holocaust and WW II, but until reading this book, I didn't know that a second massacre occurred in China by the Japanese.

The Rape of Nanking talks about this event-- the massacre of over 300,000 Chinese during the course of 6-7 weeks. Chang discusses how the Japanese could have rationalized all the murder and rape to themselves, and why there is such little publicity about Nanking. It goes into detail about before, during, and afterwards, from both the sides of the Japanese, Chinese, and foreign people who stayed during the Rape.

Although I thought the book was well written and intriguing, I still felt that it could have been almost half the size. Chang repeats herself many times, and although it does stress the importance of what she's saying (usually the more horrific facts are repeated), it does get repetitive. Still, I recommend the book to anyone who wants to learn more about a little known subject, but be aware that it does get depressing and gruesome.

-La Reina Sofia

9 comments:

  1. I agree the Rape of Nanking gets very little attention in the American history curriculum, and I figure that's because the event preceded American involvement in World War II. If you think about it, we learn very little about specific events in Europe, too.

    I was really horrified by the way in which the events in Nanking remain controversial in Japan. Post-genocidal reckoning is a pretty fascinating phenomenon. I didn't really like The Reader, last year's Kate Winslet film, but I did like the scenes in which the college kids challenge their professor and ask, "How could you let this happen to us?"

    ~KLM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was shocked to learn that most schools in Japan remove themselves as much as possible from the Rape of Nanking. It is important for all schools including those in America to focus on events such as this one because it shapes the perspective of the student. Understanding the horrors and misfortunes of other cultures is what helps better ourselves as people, for it helps prevent those things from happening again.

    It is a difficult topic to approach but one that needs approaching, much like the other genocides it is touchy and can offend readers however I like that this story is told from both perspectives so that one side does not get left untold.

    -V. Putin

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pretty rare that a book includes both sides of a story, so that's pretty interesting in it of itself. I, too, don't really know much about this subject, as many times the Holocaust is the main attraction, for lack of a better word, when genocide comes to mind. Overall, I agree this topic should be embedded into curriculum in addition or simultaneously with Holocaust teachings.

    -Sasha Obama

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be very interesting to learn more about the massacre that occurred in China because I too, know little about this subject. I believe this should be addressed in the curriculum because it's not well known and it would be great to learn more about it.

    ~Queen Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope we cover this in class and get into more detail. and dont you hate when the author repeates themself?

    -Helen Keller

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. It is scary to think about how the Japanese killed so many Chinese for a second time... i hope we can talk in class about why this was done.

    -Anastasia Romanov

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a little background on the Rape of Nanking and think it is a bit overlooked because of the holocaust. I have done a paper on Iris Chang, and know how depressing the book is, after all she did end of committing suicide...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Above Post by Morgan Freeman

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know very little about the Rape of Nanking but its sounds like a very horrific and interesting subject. The Holocaust side has always been very appealing to me but I think this side of the story would also interest me.

    -Lady GaGa

    ReplyDelete