Thursday, September 3, 2009

Skeletons on the Zahara

Skeletons on the Zahara, written by Dean King, tells of Captain James Riley's adventure on the Saharan Desert. The year is 1815, and after shipwrecking with his crew off the coast of Africa, their chance of survival seems slim to none. Riley and his men are soon captured by desert nomads and spend their time being traded between different slave owners as they struggle to survive on the harsh terrain. These American sailors battle sandstorms, severe dehydration, starvation, serious injuries, and frequent abuse from their Bedouin captors. Dean King's retelling of Riley's incredible odyssey is definitely worth the read. Although the true adventure takes a few chapters to begin, the wait is well worth it. Parts of the book can get mildly gruesome, but for those who love an adventure story this is a must read. Captain James Riley's survival story will definitely  leave the reader more appreciative of what they have and also inspired by unlikely friendships, bravery, and life on the desert. 
This was an intense, yet worthwhile summer read.
~Audrey Hepburn

12 comments:

  1. Oooh! I loved this book! I was reading it while my family and I were on line, waiting to climb the Barnegat Light lighthouse. I admit I looked like a TOTAL geek, especially when I started spouting out facts about camels. I think the people behind us thought I was bonkers. :D

    I loved the way the author immersed himself in the environment to give his readers an authentic feel for the setting.

    So I take it you thing that this one should stay on the list?

    ~KLM

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like a very adventurous book that will never make you bored. I can only imagine all of the hardships that these sailors endured. I can tell that reading this book would be an inspirational and eye opening experience.

    Oprah

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one should definitely stay on the list!
    Audrey Hepburn

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book, like mine, sounds like a true survival story. The torture and the pain these men and women go through is only imaginable to me.

    - Christina Aguilera

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good book, one that would keep you waiting on every page. A good adventure book.

    ~Charles Bronson

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great adventure novel. My book was also about surviving in devastating situations and I think it's so courageous of these men and women to go through this.

    What an inspirational read this would be !

    ~Queen Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seems like an etremely interesting book. Seems rather similar to some of the elements in "The Republic of Pirates"

    -Alexander the Great

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a really interesting book, a lot similar to mine too.

    -Marilyn Monroe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a book that I would be interested in. One that makes you look around and realize how fortunate you really are.

    -Che Guevara

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds fascinating. My book is quite similar in that people were captured and passed multiple times through the slave trade. I would love to learn more about the friendships created throughout the book.

    -Queen Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book inspires me to be adventures, with all the stories about the sailors hardships.

    -Jackie Kennedy

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book sounds fun and full of adventure! It seems similar to mine because the book that I read was very gruesome as well. I am interested in reading more about the adventures throughout the book!

    Britney Spears

    ReplyDelete